BOOK YOUR APPOINTMENT | 416 766 2853
Dental Care For Seniors
Maintaining a healthy smile is important regardless of age. And while our teeth need extra care as we age, dental knowledge has grown and losing teeth is no longer inevitable with old age. With proper dental care and consistent dental visits, you can maintain excellent oral hygiene and enjoy a healthy smile in your senior years.
Senior Dental Care Services
Should dental problems arise, the experienced dental team at Bloor West Smiles will help bring back your healthy, youthful smile through numerous restoration services including:
- dental implants
- partial and full dentures
- teeth whitening
- and any other cosmetic procedures necessary.
Reasons local seniors love Bloor West Smiles:
- Customized treatment options
- Flexible payment plans
- Extra time with seniors to ensure dental needs are met in a compassionate and unrushed manner
- Oral Cancer Screening
- Wheel chair access
- 10% off Dental Services for patients 65+
Challenges Seniors Face with Dental Care
After serving seniors in the Bloor West Village for nearly 25 years Dr. Kostirko and his team understand the unique challenges commonly associated with senior dental health including:
- Inability to brush and floss properly. Medical conditions that affect movement, such as arthritis in the hands and fingers, make daily brushing and flossing difficult, if not impossible, to perform. It's essential that seniors who have difficulty brushing schedule regular appointments for thorough cleanings and exams. Dr. Kostirko may also recommend an electric toothbrush or other oral hygiene aids to make daily oral hygiene more comfortable.
- Dry mouth. Medications, cancer treatment, and certain disease contribute to dry mouth. Many seniors attempt to curb dry mouth by sucking on hard candies. Unfortunately, this greatly increases your risk of gum disease and tooth decay. Dr. Kostirko will provide thorough exams to detect early warning signs and provide oral hygiene tips and diet counseling that will help restore moisture. In general, senior or not, if you experience dry mouth you should drink plenty of water, chew sugar-free gums and candies, and use fluoride toothpaste and mouth rinse.
- Dentures. Tired of ill-fitting dentures? Understand that aside from general discomfort, ill-fitting dentures can lead to more serious oral health concerns. Dr. Kostirko will check that your dentures fit properly to ensure optimal function and comfort.
- Implants. Dr. Kostirko is trained in the placement of implants which can help stabilize and secure a loose denture.
If you're in need of family-friendly dental care from a local practice that puts your needs first, contact our office!